The German architect Rudolf Schwarz (1897-1961) numbers among the leading masters of church architecture in the twentieth century. Inspired by the Catholic Youth Movement, Schwarz designed more than forty religious buildings after 1924 and played an integral role in Cologne's reconstruction in the aftermath of World War II. In addition, he made a name for himself as the author of fundamental texts on sacred architecture. Praised by Mies van der Rohe as "designed order full of meaning," Schwarz's architecture was intended to house religious contemplation. He became famous for his vast, light-filled spaces, minimalist in form yet overflowing with symbolism. This volume documents Schwarz's transformative sacred buildings in Germany and Austria alongside his collaborations with visual artists such as Ewald Matar and Georg Meistermann. Beautifully illustrated with photographs capturing the essence of Schwarz's architecture, this volume celebrates one of the most important architects of modern churches.